DeLib’s second library-oriented symposium begins tomorrow (11 April), focusing on “Emerging technologies in libraries“.
Held predominantly at the Grand Heritage Hotel in Doha, the symposium’s first day includes a series of workshops on modern web design, 3D printing, data visualization, and developing elearning sessions.
The second and third days are a mix of presentations and roundtable lunches. A feature will be the keynote address by Dr Barbara Tillett, previously the Chief of the Library of Congress’ Cataloging Policy & Support Office. Dr Tillett will discuss the international development of RDA (resource description and access): a unified cataloging standard designed to deal with an increasingly digital world in a way that the existing Anglo-American Cataloging Rules cannot.
Other topics addressed include:
- copyright and licensing issues in virtual learning environments
- developments in Gulf museums over the last 60 years
- capacity-building for library support staff
- the use of linked data in libraries
- library management systems and data analytics.